Monday, March 21, 2011

Banana Peel Muffin


I´m a curious person by nature. So, when I saw a recipe that used banana peel instead of bananas…….I had to try it.

The original recipe is from Department of Agriculture of the State of Rio Grande do Sul, I saw on TV. And I immediately thought: “What interesting recipe!”. Let’s try it.

The muffin dough has a very strange color that can go from gray to brown (like mine). But still is a great recipe. I’ve made this original recipe many times using a Bundt cake pan.

Today I changed a bit the ingredients to turn it GF and also reduced the amount of oil.

200 grams of banana peel washed, dried and cut into pieces. (the original recipe says 2 cups)

230 grams of granulated organic sugar. (The original recipe says 2 cups)

200 grams of green banana flour. (The original recipe asks for 1 cup of wheat flour and 1 cup of corn flour. Corn flour in Brazil is dry and rough and not soft as corn meal).

3 eggs

60 grams of olive oil. (the original recipe says 1 cup of vegetable oil)

1 tablespoon of baking powder.

I used ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.

In the blender mix together eggs, banana peel and olive oil. Blend well. In a bowl combine together the dry ingredients: banana flour, baking powder and sugar. Mix the banana egg mixture into the dry ingredients mixture. Stir well.

Then fill the paper cases up to 1/2 of it and bake medium heat. They will be ready when you stick a knife into it and it comes clean.

15 muffins out of the oven! But it would be 2 to 3 mores. If I didn’t overloaded the paper cases!

My opinion: It’s a good recipe. But this version of mine came out soft, but dry and crumbly to my very own personal taste. I like cakes that are moist. Also it was a bit too sweet. So, I’ll reduce the amount of sugar to 200 grams. For moisture I’m planning on adding more banana peel or even using 1 cup of olive oil like the original recipe. Or even one banana. Let’s see.

No comments:

Post a Comment