Thursday, March 17, 2011

Squash muffins - second version


This is my second attempt to adapt the original recipe by Jamie Oliver.
Today I used 150 grams of flour mix, instead of the 150 grams quinoa flour of my first attempt. And I also used 50 grams of white raisins. And I shouldn’t have added the raisins:
a) Because I should change one thing at a time.
b) Because I put it dry and I have to blend the mixture a bit more. And you shouldn’t over blend your mixture. You are going to have a muffin dough that’s too liquid.

400 grams of butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes
175 grams of organic granulated sugar
150 grams of flour mix
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of baking powder
20 grams of extra-virgin olive oil (this is half of the ¼ cup)
1 gram of Pumpkin pie spice. I think this is ½ a teaspoon. The original recipe says 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. But I prefer the pumpkin pie spice.
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence. Someone once told me it´s so easy to make vanilla extract that I should try one day. Because is so much better.

I grated the squash before adding the other ingredients. The original recipe don´t. I like it better because I don´t have to blend for a long time and I get the small pieces that I like.

So, after the squash is grated I add all other ingredients and blend until everything is mixed well. I don´t blend for a long time. Just count up to ten. Don´t overdo your dough.

Then fill the paper cases up to ¾ of it and bake. They will be ready when you stick a knife into it and it comes clean. The original recipe says 20-35 minutes. Mine took 30 minutes.

14 muffins out of the oven!
 
My opinion: With the raisins is too sweet. I really regret adding it to the recipe. The bitter taste of quinoa disappeared but I rather do it in another way – without raisins. I´ll try again with the flour mix without adding any other ingredient. And I´ll see how it goes. The texture was a bit more moist than my first version.

This muffin is delicious and it´s a great nutritious way of having a muffin.

I usually froze the leftover muffins – after they cool. Jamie Oliver mentioned that he freezes the dough. I have never tried. I let them cool naturally or in a desperate hunger moment I heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.

When I´m not freezing it. I leave them at the refrigerator. Squash are perishable and I don´t trust to leave it outside the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment