Saturday, March 12, 2011

Squash muffins




I love this recipe of Butternut squash muffin from Jamie Oliver. It´s an amazing way to eat squash and it´s delicious. So, I decided that I was going to change the wheat flour in the recipe for the same amount of quinoa flour and increase the amount of squash.

 
This is my first version of it. It´s half of the original recipe, but I keep the same amount of squash, and eliminated the nuts. Deep breath. I know I´m not respecting any ratio. But let´s have fun!!!


400 grams of butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes
175 grams of organic granulated sugar
150 grams of quinoa flour
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/8 cup of extra-virgin olive oil (this is half of the ¼ cup)
Pumpkin pie spice to taste. The original recipe says 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. But I prefer the pumpkin pie spice. I should get it measured next time!
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence.

I grated the squash before adding the other ingredients. The original recipe don´t. I like it better because I don´t have to blend it for a long time and I get the small pieces that I like.


So, after the squash is grated I add all other ingredients and blend until everything is mixed well. I don´t blend for a long time. Just count up to ten.
Then I just fill the paper cases up to ¾ of it and bake. They will be ready when you stick a knife into it and it comes clean. The original recipe says 20-35 minutes. Mine took 30 minutes.


Result: Everyone ate but I got complaints about the bitter flavor of quinoa. So I will try to mix flours for my next attempt. Oh! Texture! It was moister than normal, but everyone here loves more moist. So, the double amount of squash wasn´t a problem at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment