Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My first GF bread - Arracacha (white carrot) gluten-free bread


Do you think you see a green bread? Yes, you do see green bread.

They are fantastic. Everyone loved it. The green color is because the green banana flour that I used. I won´t use it next time, I´ll change to ripe banana flour.

I have and old recipe that I use so often and it´s so delicious that I wanted to make a gluten-free version. So I used a fantastic recipe from the gluten-free girl blog and added the ingredients of my recipe. This is an ongoing project. I´ll have to bake a lot before I find my own best flour and ingredients combinations. This was my first GF bread ever. I´m so proud of myself!!!!!

Ingredients:

200 grams of ripe banana flour
170 grams of Green banana flour
30 grams of amaranth flakes
2 teaspoon of salt
400 grams of arracacha (or white carrot ) boiled, drained and mashed with a fork, let it cool before you use it. *** (Arracacia xanthorrhiza Banc). It’s very soft, so if you overcook it will melt. Great for soups. I boil, drain and puree in food processor with salt and olive oil. It will be the creamiest puree of vegetable that you will ever taste.
60 grams of grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
60 grams of extra-virgin olive oil
115 grams de warm water (temperature of 110 F).

30 grams of ground flaxseed + 60 grams of hot boiling water

10 grams of active dry yeast
+ 1 tablespoon of sugar
+ 115 grams of warm water (temperature of 110 F)

The way I did it: 

1) Flaxseed:
Mix the ground flaxseed with water. Whisk it until you get a paste. Let it cool. Let it set aside.

2) Yeast:
Mix 10 grams of yeast with 1 tablespoon of sugar. Add 155 grams of warm water (temperature 110 F). Let it set aside to active the yeast.  8 to 15 minutes.


In a bowl combine the dry ingredients (banana flour, Green banana flour, amaranth flakes and salt).

In a stand mixer I combined the dry ingredients with eggs, flaxseed mixture, parmesan cheese, arracacha, olive oil and yeast. Started to blend and some flour got out of the mixer I “panic” and added the full 115 grams that I should added little by little.

Then my dough was way too wet. But I did not panic anymore. I just put the dough in an oiled bowl, covered it with a plastic bag and let it side aside for 2 long hours!!!!!

When it was time for me to roll it, I couldn’t form the little balls I wanted. But I did my best.

Pay attention to the directions of the bread recipe from gluten-free girl!!!

Dough after 2 hours resting and after I used my first half of it.


Delicious, delicious, delicious!!!!! It really has the texture of bread!

I froze the leftovers. Out of the oven Bread is so much more delicious that frozen Bread but. I want to have it for other days.

Next time I’ll use the water with so much more wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment